Thursday 20 June 2019

Top five regrets of the dying

A palliative nurse who has counselled the dying in their last days has revealed the most common regrets we have at the end of our lives. 
  1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself,
    not the life others expected of me.

    Most people had not honored even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made.
      
  2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
    They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. They deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence.

      
  3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
    Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others and they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming.
      
     
  4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
    Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying.

      
     
  5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
    Many did not realize until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to themselves, that they were content.


No comments:

Post a Comment