- America make up 5% of the global population.
- America uses 24% of the world's energy.
- America eats 15% of the world's meat.
- America produces 40% of the world's garbage.
- America eats 10 billion animals every year.
- America throws out 16 billion disposable diapers every year.
5% of the world's population that lives in the U.S. has more environmental impact than the 51% that live in the other five largest countries. The wealthiest 20% of the world's population consumes 80% of the goods and services produced from the earth's resources.
The global economy cannot grow indefinitely on a finite planet. As populations increase and economies expand, natural resources must be depleted; prices will rise, and humanity -- especially the poor and future generations at all income levels -- will suffer as a result.
Americans ought to realize that although we must satisfy basic needs, a good life is not the one devoted to amassing material possessions which eventually comes to own us, keeping us from fulfilling commitments that give meaning to life, such as those to family, friends, and faith.