- Disregarding democratic principles for economic progress and shunning democracy for majoritarianism.
- With his anti minorities attitude and a Hindu hardliner, Modi can hardly be a true statesman.
- There is a lot of difference between governing a state and an entire country full of diversity, which he doesn't realize.
- People’s desires for economic progress have been channelized into the sentiment that democracy isn’t working for them.
- He is making people believe that shunning democracy and sacrificing a few democratic values paving way for authoritarianism is an easier way out.
- Economic progress and diplomatic fanfaronade are made more important and fundamental rights, individual freedom and secularism have been reduced to useless hyperboles.
- Dissenters have been pushed to the periphery and have been blamed as anti-nationals, for whom petty personal freedoms are more important than the nation’s glory.
- Complete faith has been bestowed into the PM and questioning him means going against the nation’s sentimentality.
- A brand new nationalistic discourse has been charted. You are either on the side of your nation or on that of abhorrent Islamic neighbor.
- It has never been controversial to be secular in this country. While just a few years ago it was largely considered a virtue, secularism today stands abused and bastardized.
- The pride associated with being secular for over six decades since the inception of our Constitution has been reduced to the malicious fallacy of being minority appeasers.
- He is not directly propagating chauvinist nationalism and aggressive jingoism, but he is basking in its glory.
- He is hypersensitive to any criticism or even analytical critiques.
- Today, the country is completely divided on communal lines with Muslims and Christians being considered enemies unless they bow down to majoritarianism.
- There has been rising violence and hooliganism against Muslims and Dalits in the name of cow protection. These are law and order problems unacceptable in any civilized society.
- Dalits feel that discrimination against them has increased since Yogi Adityanath was appointed CM of Uttar Pradesh.
- When the PM and Yogi Adityanath do not wholeheartedly condemn atrocities against minorities, it gives a free hand to those who believe in an aggressive communal Hindu nationalistic ideology.
- It is true that previous governments and political parties have exploited both Dalits and minorities, indulging in vote bank politics and have contributed little to their upliftment. Failures of the past do not justify wrongs of the present. National Commission for Minorities is not having a single member for months now.
- Modi puts his foot down against the Sangh Pariwar, occasionally. Modi praised Mother Teresa for serving the poor “As Indians we feel proud about the canonization of Bharat Ratna Mother Teresa.”
- RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat had in 2015 said that Mother Teresa converted people to Christianity in the name of serving humanity and demanded that the Bharat Ratna bestowed on the Saint in 1980 be withdrawn.
- Last year Modi cited quotes from the Quran and said Islam was “a religion of peace”, is another example. But there has been no conscious effort on his part to keep the country’s secular fabric intact.
- Neither can Islamic fundamentalism be controlled nor RSS’ dream of a Hindu Rashtra be realized by resorting to lawlessness and savagery. On the contrary, it could backfire and more people could get disillusioned and take recourse to Islamic fundamentalism.
- There is contradiction between our Constitutional values of pluralism and equality and the concept of Hindutva.
- Indian’s dreams of development and progress and to making our country a fast-growing economy will be successful only only there is harmony.
- It is an irony that while millions across the world are giving up their lives for democratic values, today a large number of Indians find no virtue in democracy.
- As Modi is confident of his victory in the 2019 general elections, it’s just a matter of time our democracy gets reduced to a farce.
Wednesday, 21 June 2017
Modi's rule: Our democracy in peril
Modi's three year rule is characterized by ...
Instead of engaging people of Kashmir valley with economic progress and politically, deploying half of Indian Army and their resistance of military atrocities reflected by stone throwing even by women and school girls doesn't august well with our democratic principles. Voter turnout in recent Srinagar Lok Sabha bye-poll from 64% in 2013 to under 7% is glaring and worrying example of total alienation of Muslims in Kashmir by Modi government. Unless some drastic steps are taken, which is unlikely by authoritarian Modi, it is matter of time we end up losing Kashmir forever. Modi's senseless demonetization busted all sections of people and GDP taking a big hit. Today's farmers unremunerative prices is attributed mostly to currency shortage, consequent to demonetization, still prevailing especially in rural India. And his farmer loan waiver loan announced for winning UP elections is resulting in announcing the same by all states, one after other. GST without enough lead time for preparation is likely to hit supply chain of most commodities resulting in lower GDP apart from higher inflation. Demonetization and GST roll out, without preparation and mitigation, and farmer loan wave offs , Modi in fact is destroying economy while talking of high speed reforms.