- 3,000,000 people were killed by Pakistan military, as per Bangladesh authorities. Pakistan Government put the figure as low as 26,000 civilian casualties. The number of dead in Bangladesh in 1971 was almost certainly well over a million. Independent researchers put the figure at 500,000.
- 400,000 Bangladeshi women were raped by the Pakistani Army in rape camps. After being assaulted and impregnated by Pakistani soldiers, the Bangladeshi women were completely ostracized by society. Many were killed by their husbands, committed suicide, or murdered their half-Pakistani babies themselves.
- 10 million Bengali refugees fled to neighbouring India.
- 30 million were internally displaced.
- Hindus of East Bengal-who constitute about 10 per cent of the 75 million population.
- 176,000 Bengali military men and police who mutinied on March 26 in a spectacular, though untimely and ill-starred bid, to create an independent Republic of Bangla Desh.
Monday, 14 November 2016
Bangladesh Liberation War 1971
Posted by nharshakumar at 00:38