During past one week New Delhi experience 17 times more pollution with dangerous consequences. Delhi govt closed schools for 3 days. The pollution is described as smoking 5 packs (50 no's) of cigarettes a day. In addition to high automobile pollution, burning of millions of tonnes of agriculture waste by farmers in adjoining fields in UP, Haryana on which there is government regulation is the reason.
- Agriculture waste could be used for generating power and dealing with ash & smoke with technologies to restrict to statutory levels.
- Dust on the streets could be handled by spraying water and increasing green cover and using recycled sewerage water for watering the greenery.
- Grow plants in all government lands.
- Make it mandatory to earmark 30% land for tree plantation in all future housing layouts.
- All polluting industries in Delhi should be moved out of NCR and strict pollution control measures enforced including stone crushers and brick kilns.
Automobile pollution could be tackled ...
- Strengthen and subsidise metro and public transportation.
- Ban all SUVs and diesel cars.
- Limit petrol cars engine capacity to maximum of 1600cc.
- 2 Wheelers (four stroke petrol engine) below 100cc should be encouraged.
- Ban 2 wheelers with engine above 150cc.
- All vehicles should be retired within 10 years.
- All buses, mini buses & school buses must run only on CNG.
- Promote battery powered small cars with incentives and subsidies.
- Ambulances should run only on petrol.
- Multi occupancy car travel should be encouraged.
- Share car to work by 3 or 4 people should be encouraged and campaigned.
- Diesel generator sets should be replaced with battery powered inverters. Also eliminate power cuts and interruptions.
Concentrated development is very cheap model of development suitable for countries with small population. Distributed development is also an option but very expensive. Developing multiple cities/towns development is another feasible option. In a populous country like ours limiting consumption and controlling wastage and emissions should be mandatory and made culpable & cognizable offence.