- Patriot is defined as one whose ruling passion is the love of his country. It is sometimes used for a factious disturber of the government.
- A patriot is he whose public conduct is regulated by one single motive, the love of his country; who has, for himself, neither hope nor fear, neither kindness nor resentment, but refers every thing to the common interest.
- The claim of patriotism by an acrimonious and unremitting opposition is infallible.
- The quality of patriotism is to be jealous and watchful, to observe all secret machinations, and to see public dangers at a distance. The patriot professes to be disturbed by incredibilities.
- A patriot is lover of the people. But this mark is deceptive. The people is a very heterogeneous and confused mass of the wealthy and the poor, the wise and the foolish, the good and the bad.
- It is unpleasing to represent our affairs to our own disadvantage; yet it is necessary to shew the evils which we desire to be removed.
- Before we confer on a man, who caresses the people, the title of patriot, we must examine to what part of the people he directs his notice. The people is a confused mass of the wealthy and the poor, the wise and the foolish, the good and the bad. It is he who dissembles his own character, may be known by that of his companions. He may, among the drunkards, be a hearty fellow and sober handicraft men, a free-spoken gentleman; but he must have some better distinction, before he is a patriot.
Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel ... Samuel Johnson
Pseudo-patriotism is the last resort of the incompetent Modi government
While Congress was certainly bad, but they had sanity of mind never to disturb lives & livelihoods of poor & peasants. Modi's senseless demonetization effected lives & livelihoods of poor & peasants most and little bit to other classes. Beware of slogans and rhetoric of Modi & co of BJP who will do anything to mislead people and survive in power, worse than Congress. Modi harping on Congress failures even after 11 quarters is unacceptable nonsense.