Norman Schwarzkopf, a four-star General in US Army commanded Operation Desert Storm, successfully driving out Saddam Hussein's Iraqi forces from Kuwait in 1991. While he was known to many as "Stormin Normin", the men under his command simply called Schwarzkopf "The Bear".
Below are 10 quotes from Gen. Schwarzkopf that encapsulate his views on leadership and war.
- Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without strategy.
- Any soldier worth his salt should be antiwar; and still there are things worth fighting for.
- The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in battle.
- When placed in command, take charge.
- It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.
- True courage is being afraid, and going ahead and doing your job anyhow, that's what courage is.
- The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.
- War is a profane thing.
- You learn far more from negative leadership than positive leadership. Because you learn how not to do it.
- Do what is right, not what you think the high headquarters wants or what you think will make you look good.