- Every time an act of terror or shooting occurs, Muslims closely watch the news with extreme trepidation praying that the suspect is not Muslim. This is not because these terrorists are likely to be Muslim but rather because in the instances where they happen to be, we see amplified mass media coverage and extreme unjustified hatred towards Muslims.
- By far the vast majority of victims of terrorist attacks over the past 15 years has been Muslims killed by Muslims.
- According to FBI, 94% of terrorist attacks carried out in the United States from 1980 to 2005 have been by non-Muslims. Jewish acts of terrorism in the United States were more than Islamic. Since we cannot blame the entire religion of Judaism or Christianity for the violent actions of those carrying out crimes in the names of these religions, we have no justifiable grounds to blame Muslims for terrorism.
- There have been over one thousand terrorist attacks in Europe in the past five years. In less than 2% of incidents Muslims were involved as terrorists.
- There have been 140,000 terror attacks committed worldwide since 1970. Even if Muslims carried out all of these attacks, those terrorists would represent less than 0.00009 percent of all Muslims. To put things into perspective, this means that you are more likely to be struck by lightening in your lifetime than a Muslim is likely to commit a terrorist attack during that same time span.
- The same statistical assumptions being used to falsely portray Muslims as violent people can be used more accurately to portray Muslims as peaceful people. If all Muslims are terrorists because a single digit percentage of terrorists happen to be Muslim, then all Muslims are peacemakers because 5 out of the past 12 Nobel Peace Prize winners (42 percent) have been Muslims.
- A study carried out by the University of North Carolina showed that less than 0.0002% of Americans killed since 9/11 were killed by Muslims.
- There is no denying that terrorism is a real threat. However, it is extremely incorrect to associate the words “Muslim” and “terrorist” when literally all the facts implore otherwise. The only way that Americans can defeat terrorism at home and across the world is by accurately targeting its root causes. There have been 355 mass shootings in the United States this year and falsely blaming Muslims for every shootout will do nothing to address this serious problem. It is time to address terrorism on an educated and factual level.
In India, Muslims are not terrorists but most terrorists are Muslims. In the backlash, killings of Muslims were very much in large numbers compared to terror victims. Being minority, always they were losers, never winners, especially post independence. In early 20th century Ottoman Empire was disintegrated and Muslims faced defeat and humiliation everywhere. Muslims in India have been suffering in many ways. The Hindu majority dominated Indian politics, culture and society and Muslims were slowly getting marginalized in India.